Gardens We Created and Maintain
THE WRIGHT IRIS GARDEN, 42 N. MAIN ST. (BEHIND HISTORICAL MUSEUM). The iris in this garden were a gift from Mrs. Sue Wright, a lifetime Bellbrook Garden Club member. They were given in memory of her husband, Horace Wright, a hybridizer of iris, who was a nephew of Orville and Wilbur Wright.
Horace and Sue Wright married in 1924. and spent 30 years cultivating iris on their Spahr Road farm. Sue was a teacher in the Bellbrook-Sugarcreek School system for many years.
Horace specialized in developing reblooming iris which flower in both spring and fall. He named one variety, “The Wright Flyer”, in honor of his uncles' historical first flight.
Dedicated in 1996 & renovated in 2009, the garden is circular in design and bordered by local creek stone. A large rock from the Bellbrook Bumgardner House, constructed 1842, is the focal point. Peonies from the garden of Horace’s parents, Ivonette and Lorin Wright, and some of their favorite daylilies also are included.
THE DUNHAM GARDEN, 52 W. FRANKLIN ST. (WINTERS LIBRARY) was dedicated in 1999 as a memorial to Jeanette Dunham who lived in Bellbrook for many years, was a Bellbrook Garden Club member and a trustee of the Greene County Library. The garden is centered by a stone patio and surrounded by some of Jeanette’s own perennials. Plant donations from club members complete the garden. The garden was made possible by gifts from Jeanette's family to the club.The patio, bench and several plantings were provided by the City of Bellbrook.
THE BUTLER-KLYCE GARDEN, 42 N. MAIN ST. (BEHIND AND TO SIDE OF HISTORICAL MUSEUM) was dedicated in 2006 to honor long-time Bellbrook residents Harry and Jean Butler and Genevieve Klyce. Harry was a well-known horticulturist and also had a career in broadcasting at WHIO-Dayton CBS affiliate. His wife, Jean, was a talented watercolorist and naturalist. Both were Life Members of the Bellbrook Garden Club. Genevieve Klyce taught in the Bellbrook-Sugarcreek Schools for decades. She was also a member of the Bellbrook Garden Club for more than 50 years.
The garden is comprised primarily of shade plants, using perennials from both the Butler and Klyce gardens. There are also native flowering shrubs. An historic stone bench, donated by Genevieve Klyce, centers the garden. Native stone has been used for accent.
Planting Urns and Gardens in Bellbrook
In May, the club plants annual flowers and greenery in the large urns in downtown Bellbrook and in gardens and pots at the Winters' Library and Bellbrook Historical Museum (both city properties).
The city reimburses the club for the plants. Tom's Mulch generously donates many yards of mulch annual to the club for these projects. Club members maintain the gardens (weeding, watering, etc.) until frost. The City Service Department waters the large urns. Club members clean the gardens in fall and spring. In the late fall, members replace the urn plants with evergreen boughs, berries, and other seasonal greens.
Elementary School Programs
Annual Plant Sale